Rapid A seed only version can be equipped with a pivot packer, to ensure that the same consolidation is exerted on areas between tractor wheels.
On our combi version and Jumbo version, the integral packer bears part of the load and thanks to the guide linkage, the machine is incredibly manoeuvrable on headlands.
The packer has two major roles:
- Soil consolidation in the centre of the machine is improved, presenting a uniform surface into which to work
- Radius of headland turning is considerably reduced
Depending on the front tools Rapid can work either directly in the stubble or on cultivated/ploughed land.
Rapid can be equipped with different front tools:
- CrossBoard Heavy - Perfect solution for ploughed and cultivated land with low draught requirement
- System Agrilla CrossBoard Light - The tines efficiently rip loose large amounts of material which the CrossBoard then breaks up and levelling the soil before seed coulters. System Agrilla efficiently interrupts capillary transport of water to the surface, levels the field after ploughing and moves fine material down into the seedbed
- System Disc - Our most versatile front tool for min till farming. Intensive soil preparation with individual rubber suspension for each disc. The disc size in combination with the conical shape ensures small soil particles, ideal for a good seed bed. The discs are made of V-55-steel with a diameter of 410 mm for superior life time
- System Disc CrossBoard Light – our most versatile and popular front tool, perfect for working in tough ploughed or min till conditions
- System Disc Aggressive CrossBoard Light – our heaviest front tool ideal for working in reduced tillage conditions
Rapid has an amazing ability to keep the seed depth under the most difficult conditions. Each packer wheel controls the drilling depth of two coulters by a unique mechanical linkage. The coulters are rubber suspended which ensures a calm operation also at high speed. Rapid has up to 150 kg coulter pressure (empty hopper) which enables penetration also under the toughest conditions.
The fertiliser discs with 250 mm spacing place the fertiliser between every second seed row to a preset depth. For optimum establishment the fertiliser should be placed at 2-3 cm deeper than the seeds.
The seed disc with 125 mm spacing cuts a small slit under the cultivated soil and places the seed in moist soil. Thereafter the seed is covered by fine soil created by the serrated edges of the discs. This is one of the explanations for the good and uniform emergence.
Rapid uses a single seed disc to achieve a seed furrow as narrow as possible. In the protected area behind the disc, the coulter places the seed. The discs are made of Swedish steel, hardened up to HRC55 - Väderstad V-55. This ensures a strong and hard disc and therefore a longer lifetime.
Each wheel consolidates the soil over two rows of seed and one row of fertiliser. Consolidation ensures good contact between soil and seed, and therefore good water supply to the germinating seed.
The packer wheels are placed in an offset position. This means that alternate wheels in the packer roll have been displaced 190 mm backwards on a separate axle. This creates a channel between alternate wheels through which soil and harvest trash can flow and pass out behind the seed drill. This prevents soil walling up in front of the wheel row, which is an advantage on very light soils. OffSet also allows drilling under much tougher conditions and gives the drill a lower draught requirement.
The following harrow creates a loose evaporation barrier that prevents surface crusting after heavy rain.
Working angle and the pressure applied to the soil can be adjusted. This facility permits fine-tuning of the amount of cultivation achieved by the harrow, while at the same time allowing varying levels of crop residue to be dealt with.The harrow is positioned to run in-between the seed rows, so there is no risk of disturbing shallow-drilled seeds.